Wednesday 6 July 2011

Smoky Lake Revisited

A very interesting part about my position working in Smoky Lake is that I've actually lived here many years ago.

I lived here in Smoky Lake between 1990 and 2001. Ten years later, here I am again; but I'm no longer just a little elementary school kid. I've returned now to work with the County of Smoky Lake, and in a very interesting position mind you. Being able to read historical county documents and bylaws has pretty much allowed me to catch up on the goings-on of Smoky Lake in my absense.

But there's more to just my job that makes this place an interesting place to live. I've returned to Smoky Lake and have already bumped into my friends from elementary school, some whom have begun working for the county as well, others have begun farming in the area, and many more have left this small community to work in larger population centers such as Edmonton.

Lots of the people I've met so far working for the county have known my father in the past, making networking a bit easier working here as "Steve's kid." So, so far I've been doing well re-meeting people and making new friends. The hardest part is finding people my age, as the 2007 graduating class of Smoky Lake only had about 20 people, and most of them have since left.

All that aside, re-integration is going well. It definitely helps that I can just ask my parents, who just recently moved back here, about different people and who to see in what circumstances.

So, in a nutshell, and as far as networking goes, community re-integration for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment